Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Parent/Teacher Conferences

So, I am not entirely sure that any parents will show up to see how their student is doing in "gym", but I am sure that I will get to watch two eighth grade girls basketball games and stay here till 7:30pm. Yikes. Positives to this scenario: I get to see my students outside of class with their friends, and I could quite possibly get some homework done. I have really found some students that I love and want to tuck under my wing to bring home. I have two students whom I am particularly drawn to, partially because they are charismatic people and because they make me laugh.

One student is real bright and does well in school but has a past with gangs and violence, for instance in the same day he got on the honor roll he also got suspended for fighting. And he calls himself a BAMF...only one of those letters is a non-curse word. But I love him, he is great.

The other student has emotional needs...meaning he is one pissed kid. He flies off the handle real easy. I would too if I couldn't read and got in trouble for it. His story makes me sad, but he also loves being active and doing things that are hard. When we read together he tries real hard and it makes my heart happy.

I just hope that both of them find what they are passionate about and get to do the things that make them the happiest in life.

Who knew that it was going to be this glorious, hanging around a bunch of middle school kiddos.

Ah the sweet life,
Ashley

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After seeing you with Bridget...I bet you are one ROCKIN' TEACHER girl. You have a gift for sure...and I like that you have a fondness for these awesome kids.