Thursday, October 14, 2010

Old is as Old does

My sweet, sweet grandfather is in town to get a surgery on his shoulder and that means we get to spend time with him. YAY!! Yesterday I went to hospital to visit the old man and I am happy to say that he is doing well. My father, Papa(grandfather) and I got to talking about getting older and having adult children and all that nonsense. I think it feels weird to be an adult, but both Dad and Papa said it wasn't weird...just logical path. This is where I tell you that I am very different from both the elder fellas, I am not typically the most practical in my thought process. I tend to think of things more abstractly, whereas, they think more realistically and concretely. So as I am having these existential moments in the hospital room, I notice that the conversation has drifted to bowel movements, perforated colons and the such....I love my grandfather, but I in no way want to hear that conversation, so I stepped into the hallway and wandered the halls. I think that this might have been one of the few times that I haven't gotten faint-like in the hospital, which I chalk up to mere luck. I have never been in the hospital for myself and therefore I find it very suspicious as to why I get sick when I am in such a facility. My papa and father said it was all in my head(again logical) but why? I had a friend tell me story about her brother in the hospital and I got faint-like...weird I know. If anyone can enlighten me to this phenomenon, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anywho, to the crux of the blog...old is as old does. I think our actions speak of our maturity in life and how we wan to be perceived. My Papa is 83 and he acts as though he is a much younger man. I act like a much younger girl...sometimes. I say this because in a culture obsessed with youth, I always want to be perceived as young, hip and with it, but I am coming to grips with my maturity and adulthood. Obviously, as this has been a common theme to my blog most recently.
As I dive into what my adult life is going to look like I am going cherish the time that I get to spend learning how to act my age and whatever that feels like...so in logical years I might be 27, but I feel more like 22, and my maturity and wisdom....well I will leave that for you to decide(because it might vary based upon what you know about me).

Cheers for getting better with age...and feeling better too,
APK


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I fucking love aging!!! Yes, I used the "f" bomb. My 30s have been the best years of my life...and I have a feeling you will see it the same way. Heck you may already be there sister. To be able to share of yourself so freely on a blog for anyone and everyone to read already speaks volumes of your comfort level with who you are, who you are not, and contemplating who you will be in the future.