Friday, March 4, 2011

Biblical Times...

"You shall not watch your neighbour’s ox or sheep straying away and ignore them; you shall take them back to their owner. If the owner does not reside near you or you do not know who the owner is, you shall bring it to your own house, and it shall remain with you until the owner claims it; then you shall return it."

- Deuteronomy 22:1-2


I receive daily bible verses in my email, along with prayers and quotes that are to inspire me. Most of the time they do and I get all hopped up on the good G.O.D, but old testament stuff sometimes strikes me funny in our modern times. Don't get me wrong I understand the underlying message. But sometimes I get to thinking..."Well, shoot what if m y neighbor does live too far for me to return his/her ox/sheep? I mean let's get honest, how am I to fit that in...I have yoga, facebooking, work, looking for work, etc. Returning someone else's stray livestock sounds like a hassle. And seriously, I can't have animals in my apartment." So this is when I get real pissed that my neighbor was careless to let their ox(who has been named Foxy) out...pissed, so pissed. So in my head of humor that is what I am really thinking, trying to make a joke of the scripture because it shows that I am a Christian with a sense of humor...but then I take a step back and think, well shoot, what is the true intention of the scripture. And sadly I think that I might have the same reaction to my neighbors lost "whatever", it is an inconvenience. In a world where I claim to be accessible and caring and compassionate, I think that I have done a real good job of projecting someone much cooler than I. Soooo, what have I learned from this today.....hmmmmm....unsure to be honest. I think that God might want me stop trivializing the written Word, but then again I think he might delight in my thought processes around scripture. I will tell you this if "Foxy"(literal or figurative) is roaming about, I might think twice before letting it pass me by...thanks Deuteronomy.

Joyful moment today...touching the head of a baby while it was still in the womb, thanks for letting me touch your belly Mrs. English...can't wait to meet baby English and kiss its little head.

Thoughtful and still laughing at myself,

APK

1 comment:

Jenny said...

What about if it was your neighbor's child? Would you shrug it off? I think not. Give yourself some credit - and be sure to let us know if you run into literal Foxy!